Illinois CPA Society Announces 2020 Outstanding Leadership Award Recipients
CHICAGO, April 3, 2020 – The Illinois CPA Society (ICPAS)—one of the largest state CPA societies in the nation—is proud to announce the recipients of its prestigious 2020 outstanding leadership awards.
“It’s an honor and privilege to recognize the remarkable achievements and contributions of these diverse and dynamic individuals,” says Todd Shapiro, ICPAS president and CEO. “We are truly fortunate to have such inspirational members dedicated to our mission of enhancing the value of the CPA profession and leading the next generation of CPAs through the unprecedented change impacting accounting and finance today.”
Each year, ICPAS’ prestigious awards recognize outstanding leaders within the CPA community. ICPAS is proud to present the following honorees:
Lifetime Achievement Award
The Lifetime Achievement Award is the highest honor bestowed on a member who has demonstrated distinguished service to ICPAS and the accounting profession.
• Elizabeth A. Murphy, Ph.D., MBA, CPA – Professor Emerita, DePaul University
Women to Watch Awards
In partnership with the ICPAS Women’s Committee and Association of International Certified Professionals Accountants, Women to Watch Awards are presented in two categories, Experienced Leader and Emerging Leader, to recognize women who have made significant contributions to the accounting profession, their organizations, and to the development of women as leaders.
• Carol M. Jessup, Ph.D., CPA, CFE – Professor of Accountancy, University of Illinois Springfield
• Lauren Bruce, CPA, CIA – Senior Manager, Grant Thornton LLP
• Hollis A. Hanson-Pollock, CPA – Associate Practice Fellow, GASB and Audit Manager, Crowe LLP
Lester H. McKeever Jr. Advancing Diversity Awards
Presented in two categories, Outstanding Leader and Emerging Leader, the Lester H. McKeever Jr. Advancing Diversity Award recognizes individuals who are committed to advancing diversity in the accounting profession.
• Sandra Waller Shelton, Ph.D., MBA, CPA – KPMG Endowed Professor of Accountancy, Director, Internal Audit Education Program, DePaul University
• Reuel Brumell, CPA – Private Wealth Consultant, Grant Thornton LLP
Outstanding Educator Awards
Awarded to educators at four-year and two-year colleges and universities, the Outstanding Educator Award honors educators who have made significant contributions to the education of accounting students through their leadership, teaching excellence, and active involvement in the accounting profession.
• Michael T. Popowits, CPA, MAS – Senior Lecturer, Department of Accounting and Director of Student Professional Development, iLEAD, UIC Business
• Christine A. Wayne, EdD, MBA, CPA – Accounting Professor and Department Coordinator, William Rainey Harper College
Young Professionals Leadership Award
The Young Professionals Leadership Award recognizes a young professional who has demonstrated outstanding leadership skills in his or her career, in public or community service, and through involvement in professional organizations.
• Curt M. Mastio, CPA – Managing Member, Founder’s CPA and Adjunct Instructor, Northwestern University
Time and Talent Public Service Volunteerism Award
The Time and Talent Public Service Volunteerism Award honors an organization for its outstanding service on Illinois CPA Society or CPAs for the Public Interest volunteer initiatives.
• Kutchins, Robbins & Diamond Ltd.
Distinguished Service Awards
ICPAS’ Distinguished Service Award is bestowed on members who display a commitment to excellence by taking on extra challenges and responsibilities in their 2019-2020 volunteer service.
• Linda S. Abernethy, CPA – RSM US LLP – Governmental Executive Committee
• Margaret L. Al-Qassas, CPA – MichaelSilver – Taxation Executive Committee
• Tony Boras, CPA – Crowe LLP – Governmental Report Review Committee
• Scott R. Cosentine, CPA, CAMS, CGMA – Ashland Partners & Company LLP – Audit and Assurance Services Committee
• Beth M. Cwik, CPA, CFP – Huck Bouma PC – Taxation - Estate, Gift and Trust Committee
• Alison H. Fetzer, CPA – ORBA – Not-for-Profit Organizations Committee
• Karen M. Fleming, CPA, MST – BKD CPAs & Advisors – Taxation - Estate, Gift and Trust Committee
• Robert T. Hedrick, EA, MST – Hedrick Systems Group Inc. – Taxation - Practice and Procedures Committee
• Mark S. Heroux, JD – Baker Tilly Virchow Krause LLP – Taxation - Practice and Procedures Committee
• Mark S. Klesman, CPA, CGMA – Klesman & Company PC – Peer Review Report Acceptance Committee
• Ellen L. Landgraf, Ph.D., CPA, CFE – Loyola University Chicago – Ethics Committee
• Monty D. Meyer, CPA/PFS, MST, USTCP – Monty Meyer CPA & Associates PC – Taxation - Practice and Procedures Committee
• Kim D. Meyer, CPA – Hudgens & Meyer LLC – Peer Review Report Acceptance Committee
• Brittany Y. Okossi, CPA – KPMG LLP – Mary T. Washington Wylie Alumni Advisory Group
• Linda C. Rapacz, CPA – Linda C. Rapacz CPA PC – Peer Review Report Acceptance Committee
• Jonathan E. Strouse, CPA – Harrison & Held LLP – Taxation - Practice and Procedures Committee
• Andrew VanSingel, JD – Internal Revenue Service – Taxation - Practice and Procedures Committee